A Linden man was on Wednesday last jailed for one year by Magistrate Wanda Fortune after he was found guilty of assault, causing actual bodily harm.The sentence was handed down to the defendant, Dexter Thompson, when he appeared at the Linden Magistrate’s court.The court heard that on Tuesday, May 28, Thompson assaulted Onika Sampson at Andyville, Blueberry Hill, Wismar, Linden.
Promoter Frank Warren announces that Wembley Arena will stage the 16 March show featuring George Groves’ fight for the European super-middleweight title. Groves, from Hammersmith, beat Paul Smith in two rounds at the same venue in November 2011. (Video courtesy of iFilm London)See also:Groves to fight for title at Wembley ArenaTrio in action on Groves’ Wembley bill Groves lining up world title challengeGroves warned ahead of title showdownTrainer Booth discusses George Groves’ European title fightGroves ready to add European belt to his title 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook read more
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
Veteran digital ad sales leader Jim Norton has joined the ranks of Condé Nast’s leadership as its first ever chief business officer and president of revenue, the company announced today. Norton arrives from AOL, which he joined in 2009 before rising to head of global sales in 2013, responsible for ad sales across AOL’s portfolio of brands. Prior to that, Norton spent three years as national sales manager for Google. He also serves as vice chairman of the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB), and will assume the role of chairman next year. At Condé Nast, Norton will be responsible for all revenue operations for the company’s 22 brands, including print and digital, and will report to president and CEO Bob Sauerberg. “I am excited to work with the creative, award-winning talent at Condé Nast and to harness the power of their brands for clients,” said Norton in a statement. “In every audience segment … Condé Nast is a category leader, and the potential to craft innovative, cross-portfolio marketing partnerships is limitless.” The move to centralize cross-brand revenue operations under an executive with extensive experience leading digital and data-driven sales efforts at large corporations seems to indicate that Condé Nast intends to offer the full weight of its 90-million-strong digital audience in front of advertisers, mirroring recent similar pivots at other large publishers like Time Inc., Hearst, and Meredith. Additionally, Norton’s arrival means chief marketing officer Edward Menicheschi and chief administrative officer Jill Bright are out at Condé Nast, reports WWD. Menicheschi spent eight years as VP/publisher of Vanity Fair before rising to CMO in in 2014. Bright had been with the company since 1993 and had served as chief administrative officer since 2010. “By organizing the company’s numerous revenue operations under Jim, Condé Nast will be well positioned to quickly respond to the dynamic marketplace and our clients’ needs,” said Sauerberg in a statement. “Jim brings a great understanding of the complexities of running a massive sales enterprise and the importance of data-led sales products to maximize our effectiveness.” In June, Condé Nast announced the launch of a new audience data platform, Condé Nast Spire, and rumors of a potential consolidation or elimination of several individual brand publishers, something also seen at Time Inc. and Hearst, have persisted for weeks but not yet come to fruition. Norton’s appointment will likely be seen by many as a harbinger of that long-awaited reorganization. Norton’s first day at Condé Nast’s One World Trade Center digs is October 17. read more
Share Bob DaemmrichState Sen. Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo, at Triblive on Dec. 6, 2012.In a nod to one of Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick’s top priorities, the Texas Senate voted Tuesday to freeze tuition at public universities for two years — and then place strict limitations on increases after that.But the idea still faces an uncertain future. The proposal will now head to the House, where leadership is much more skeptical of tuition caps. Senate Bill 19 was approved 29-2 with little discussion. It would ban schools from hiking costs for the two years after the 2017-18 school year. After that, schools would be limited to increases of 1 percent, plus the rate of inflation. And those increases would only be allowed if schools met a series of performance metrics set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.SB 19’s author, Sen. Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo, has been pushing for a “performance-based tuition” bill since 2015, when the idea passed the Senate but died in the House. The thinking behind it is that schools should have to show improvements in graduation rates and reductions in administrative costs before they change their prices. Senate Bill 19 merges that proposal with a tuition freeze. Democrats and Republicans in the Senate have supported such a freeze, saying it was a mistake by the Legislature to cede control of tuition costs to colleges in 2003. Since then, tuition costs have increased by more than 140 percent.The bill as currently written will likely generate strong pushback from universities’ supporters, who are already alarmed by dramatic cuts to their schools in the proposed Senate budget. Each school now faces a reduction in state funding of between 6 percent and 10 percent. A tuition freeze would limit the schools’ ability to make up for those losses.“SB 19 could be a good idea, but it does not require the state to increase or even maintain its own investments in higher education,” said Garrett Groves, director of the Economic Opportunity Program at the Center for Public Policy Priorities.Meanwhile, Seliger himself questioned whether an increase capped at 1 percent would even make it worth it for schools to chase the goals set out in the bill. Worries about state funding for higher education are widespread this legislative session. Hours before the Senate voted on Senate Bill 19, the members of the Texas Coalition for Excellence in Higher Education spoke out about the situation for the first time in the group’s six-year history. The group of prominent business leaders and philanthropists formed in 2011 in response to governance changes at top state schools proposed by then-Gov. Rick Perry.“Higher education transforms lives for the better; fuels medical, technology and intellectual discoveries; and prepares present and future generations to lead, invent, create, teach and hire,” the group said. “We cannot shortchange our state’s future by underfunding education.”Seliger, who is chairman of the Senate Higher Education Committee and serves on the Senate Finance Committee, acknowledged those worries on the Senate floor Tuesday.“I am determined to do everything we can to keep those universities whole,” he said.He also said Tuesday that he thinks more money for universities will be added into the state’s budget.The House’s version of the budget calls for more funding. And Senate Bill 19 could face a hard time in the lower chamber. House leadership has expressed support in recent months for Seliger’s performance based tuition ideas. They have been far more skeptical of tuition freezes.Last month, House Speaker Joe Straus, a Republican, said tuition in Texas seems to be a “pretty good bargain.” Students are applying to schools in record numbers, he noted.“The supply and demand seems to be working,” he said.And on a stage next to Seliger at a Texas Tribune event earlier Tuesday, House Higher Education Chairman J.M. Lozano, R-Kingsville, said he would have to see the contents of any proposed tuition cap before he took a stance. When pressed, however, he said that — “on its face” he would not be for a cap.House support for another Patrick higher education priority approved Tuesday is also unclear. By a party-line 20-11 vote, Senators approved Senate Bill 18, which would eliminate a rule that requires schools to set 15 percent of money raised from tuition increases for financial aid.Democrats said they were worried that the change would mean less help for poor students. Seliger disputed that notion, however, saying most schools have already said that they don’t plan to direct fewer dollars toward financial aid.Over the objections of some Republicans, he added an amendment to the bill that would create a new $30 million state grant program available to students who attend schools that reduce their tuition by 5 percent.The Senate is expected to give final approval of the bill on Wednesday before sending it to the House.Read more of our related coverage:The top three sources of revenue for Texas public universities are all being targeted for reductions or freezes by federal or state government leaders. Last month, the Senate Higher Education Committee considered several bills related to limiting tuition increases.This article originally appeared in The Texas Tribune at https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/04/senate-approves-two-year-tuition-freeze-1-cap-on-increases-after-that/.Texas Tribune mission statementThe Texas Tribune is a nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization that informs Texans — and engages with them — about public policy, politics, government and statewide issues. read more
The 11th annual Greenbelt Green Man Festival will be held on May 9 and May 10 on the Roosevelt Center Plaza in the heart of the Historic Greenbelt, Maryland. For more information see www.greenbeltgreenmanfestival.org.
Steven Senne by NPR News Merrit Kennedy 8.27.19 4:30pm Updated at 3:40 p.m. ETNorth Carolina is suing electronic cigarette companies that it accuses of selling products to children, amid a major increase in U.S. teens getting hooked on vaping.The state’s attorney general, Josh Stein, announced Tuesday that his office will be filing lawsuits in state court against eight companies that sell vaping products. His office is accusing these companies of “aggressively targeting children and do not require appropriate age verification when selling these dangerous and addictive products.”North Carolina law prohibits the sale of e-cigarette products to those younger than 18.Earlier this year, Stein filed a similar lawsuit against the popular e-cigarette company Juul. “Our complaints allege that these eight e-cig companies are helping to fuel an epidemic of vaping among high school and middle school students,” Stein said in a statement. “One look at their marketing materials demonstrates just how egregious their sales tactics are — with flavors like cotton candy, gummy bear, unicorn, and graham cracker, they’re clearly targeting young people.”The companies targeted by the lawsuits are Beard Vape, Direct eLiquid, Electric Lotus, Electric Tobacconist, Eonsmoke, Juice Man, Tinted Brew and VapeCo. Most of the companies did not immediately responded to NPR’s request for comment.”We absolutely affirm that these products don’t belong in the hands of children,” Bruce Gibson, the CEO of The Electric Tobacconist, said in a statement. “As such we have an extensive age verification platform that means a purchase can’t be completed until a person’s age has been established through a third party platform.” “To teenagers, the health and addiction risks of vaping are simply too high,” Stein said. “That is why my office is asking the court to protect our kids by shutting down these operations in our state.”In the lawsuit against Juul, filed in May, Stein’s office asked a court to block the company from selling e-cigarette products to minors in North Carolina and not allow the company to sell any flavors online other than tobacco or menthol.Many e-cigarette companies have said their products help cigarette smokers to quit. But there’s also vast evidence that many young people who have never smoked are vaping. “While tobacco use among teens dropped from 28 percent to just above 5 percent from 2000 to 2017, the rise of e-cigarettes has led the number of high schoolers using tobacco products back up to nearly 30 percent and 7 percent among middle schoolers,” Stein’s office said. The Food and Drug Administration has warned that teen vaping in the U.S. has reached “an epidemic proportion” and is trying to reduce the sales and marketing of the devices to teens. Many e-cigarettes contain nicotine, the addictive chemical found in cigarettes. According to the U.S. Surgeon General, nicotine is particularly dangerous to young people. “Nicotine exposure during adolescence and young adulthood can cause addiction and harm the developing brain,” it said. Last year, 20% of high school students said they had used e-cigarettes in the past month. San Francisco officials recently voted to ban the sale and distribution of e-cigarettes in that city.Copyright 2019 NPR. To see more, visit NPR. North Carolina Says It Is Suing 8 E-Cigarette Companies read more
In order to promote tourism and to bring forward the best of best features that Kerala, popularly known as God’s Own Country, offers to make one’s holidaying experience, heavenly, Kerala Tourism held a press meet with Nanda Kumar, Deputy Director, Kerala Tourism. The event, which took place in the national Capital on Friday had some cultural performances that enthralled the guests.Kerala is the perfect holiday destination of India; from picturesque landscapes, exciting getaways to rich culture and heritage the state has a lot to showcase. As a ritual, the state brings you a 360 degree preview of India’s favorite destination; the essence of the state being captured in one single event. The idea is to witness the rich culture, extravagant heritage, magnificent landscapes, cuisine, music and art all in one show. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’To strengthen Kerala’s position as ‘God’s Own Country’ and to create a destination pull, Kerala Tourism will also launch a new theme campaign to showcase Kerala and its unique attractions. Food festivals conducted in cities such as Ahmadabad and Mumbai to market Kerala’s authentic cuisine, one of the tourist attractions of the State. Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) will come up with special discounted packages during the period.Kerala Tourism has declared the period from April 2015 to April 2016 as ‘Visit Kerala Year’ and an array of activities are planned as part of it. In the wake of the fresh initiative, Kerala Tourism will explore more new markets like China, Sri Lanka etc. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixA comprehensive festivals and events calendar will be prepared and promoted through multiple channels, including India Tourism Offices and Indian embassies abroad. Kerala will be promoted as a major “Wedding and MICE destination” through online campaigns. As part of its innovative water-based tourism facilities, the Kerala Tourism Infrastructure Ltd., under the state’s Department of Tourism, launched the Hop-on Hop-off boat service and Water Taxis, for the first time in India, in the backwaters of Kochi and in the Spice Route project of Muziris. read more
3 min read Enroll Now for Free This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience. January 22, 2016 Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own. Hoarding typically conjures up images of houses so full of objects it’s difficult to find a clear path between rooms. But the Internet has created a new way to compulsively collect stuff. Welcome to the age of digital hoarding.As with classic hoarding, two main factors contribute to the excessive amassing of materials online, says Jen Cohen Crompton, editor in chief of the Philadelphia-based Neat Company, a cloud-based mobile digital-filing system.“There’s the logical approach where you think, ‘I may need this,’” she says, “and there’s the emotional attachment to digital document like pictures and music.”Related: 7 Life Hacks to Be Productive Instead of Just BusyYou may be thinking — so what if I like to save every email, file and video clip? But digital hoarding, like regular hoarding, can lead to decreased productivity, disorganization and wasted time and money (like when you forgo a reimbursement because you can’t find the necessary on your cluttered desktop).Bottom line: it may be time to take a long, hard look at your own digital habits. “A huge wake up call is when your phone runs out of storage,” Compton says. Another sign is a pile up of unread and uncategorized emails in your inbox. “You’ll see that things are taking up space and not really functioning.”Related: How This Simple Trick Can Keep You Organized Every DayAlthough there’s no data on how many people are afflicted by this modern-day malady, keeping a handle on how much digital space you take up is important. Crompton says to start keeping possible hoarding habits under control, treat your digital space as you would your physical space. This means not letting email pile up, but rather deleting, archiving or responding to messages in a timely manner. “Take care of things as they come in,” she advises.Developing an organization system is key. Make sure your physical and virtual desktops are clear of clutter and that documents go in the right as they arrive, which likely means creating folders and subfolders. It’s equally vital to dispose of what’s no longer useful. “If you haven’t used a program in six months to a year, uninstall it,” Crompton says.With 2016 off to a fresh start, it’s the perfect time to create a clean digital slate — and keep it that way.Related: 6 New Tech Upgrades Helpful for Entrepreneurs read more